Friday, August 28, 2009

I love this life.

Life in New York continues to be wonderful and exciting. I am, perhaps, still floating along in the honeymoon phase of life here where everything is fresh, adventurous, and note-worthy. I hope this feeling lasts for quite a while...

So what's new? EVERYTHING. I finally have the new couch in the living room...it's wonderful. We are gradually getting settled in together as roommates and I am enjoying the casual and friendly atmosphere Alex and Neal provide.

Earlier this week I took a little trip down to Norfolk, Virginia to visit my friend Cory. He just moved there and is getting ready to start teaching middle-school Latin (God bless him). We had absolutely beautiful weather and spent time exploring Norfolk by going to the beach, walking around downtown, visiting the National Naval Museum, touring the USS Wisconsin, and visiting the Chrysler Art Museum. It was great! We also went out to eat and had our first experience learning how to crack open and eat fresh crabs with bibs and all and spent an evening cooking fresh fajitas in his new apartment.

Now that I am back in New York, Alex and I are getting serious about adopting kittens. Today I found a great little pet shop called Petopia where I bought all the necessary cat supplies I need. The great thing about Petopia is that they have free delivery. It would have been impossible for me to get a litter box, litter, scratching post, pet carrier, and toys back the 11 blocks back to my apartment and they delivered it within an hour of my purchasing it in the store!

Last night was really exciting because I got to meet some of my classmates! Our department has a student organization that hosts social and special events and last night was our first get-together! We met at the Bryant Park Cafe which is right behind the New York Public Library. It was one of those terribly awkward experiences (similar to St. Olaf playfair except at a bar) where no one knows anyone else and the introductions take forever. From what I can tell, almost all of the students are female which could create an interesting dynamic--hopefully it won't be catty.

Anyway, my big goal for this weekend is to adopt the kittens. Then I'll worry about working on my quilting and getting ready for school.

I miss you all a great deal and appreciated hearing from so many of you. Take care.

Love,
~Maren

No comments:

Post a Comment