Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Academic Reflections

I've been thinking about the anxiety of beginning a new school year and have discovered that it's not the first day of class that I worry about--it's the second.

Today was my second day of History & Theory class. Ugh.

On the first day of class, students appear and are presented with a syllabus (which can be intimidating) and the professor generally gives an introduction to the course. This is easy. All you have to do is show up and listen. Nothing is required of you. The second day, however, is anxiety-ridden because we've just spent the last week pouring over our readings in isolation and now must come to class prepared to discus lofty ideals on complex theory. We were also required to write a brief (2 page) analysis of our 6 readings to turn in to the professor. It was so hard to write just two pages when attempting to analyze hundreds of pages of theory. I hate turning in that first assignment because I have very little idea what the professor wants or how he will be evaluating our work. Hopefully he will provide useful feedback.

So today after class I rewarded myself by taking a break from school work. For most people this would involve watching TV or taking a nap (and I will do those things at some point), but today I took time to organize my planner and to re-pot my herbs!


How do people garden in NYC? On the kitchen floor of course! I was able to find a tiny bag of potting soil and used a soup spoon as a spade.

The kittens were so curious--especially Oscar.


My newly potted plants (basil, mint, and aloe vera!) They have grown SO much over the last month!

The view out my kitchen window. My building looks just like the ones you see here. A small park is in the middle where you see trees.

1 comment:

  1. So excited about your herbs! Have you used them in any of your cooking adventures yet?

    ReplyDelete